Thursday, September 23, 2010

Helen Mirren reveals first-ever Parkinson interview “was enraging”

Mirren, 65, was just 30 when she made her first appearance on TV show, Parkinson, during which the veteran TV presenter – now 70 – made a series of comments that were deemed sexist, even quoting one theatre reviewer who described The Queen star as "projecting sluttish eroticism".
In an interview with US magazine Bust, the London-born actress, who went on to appear on Parkinson two more times before it ended in 2007, says: "It was enraging.
"But it was par for the course to a certain extent. It was fairly common, that kind of attitude.
"Looking back, I think I handled it really well. It was the first time I had ever done a talk show, ever…
"I was so nervous, terribly nervous and I was mortified by the end of it. But when I look back, I see I handled it with humour, but I wasn't taking it."
She adds: "At least now, young actresses can say, 'F*** off' and still work again…”
The former Prime Suspect, who has lived in LA since 1986 with her director husband Taylor Hackford, has recently been filming the remake of Arthur with Russell Brand and Jennifer Garner.
She plays Brand's assistant – a part, which in the original movie was played by a man – and says that she loves the fact the film is being entirely shot by a female camera crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment